Social Sharing Plugin For Wordpress?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Which social sharing plugin(s) do you use and why?

Ideally free, but willing to pay *if* it's really worth it

Grandad

Simple Share Buttons Adder. I have tried a few out and all tend to slow a site down a quare bit [all those domain lookups and connections], but SSBA works reasonably well. I'm always open to correction if there's a better one though!

Grandad

To be honest, I'm not that pushed about Social Media or any of that stuff. Most of my traffic comes from links, blogrolls, bookmarks and [to my eternal shame] from Twitter. I just automatically bang out a "Tweet" when posting and that tends to get a good response. People can get hung up on the number of "likes" or "shares" or whatever. My philosophy is that if they want me, they'll find me.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but you've got a following. And your blog is personal.
For some of the company blogs we need to try and drive traffic to posts for a few weeks

Grandad

You make me sound like the Pied Piper. How many work blogs are there anyway? I only follow two - the main Blog, and Network Status.

Grandad

There you go - too many. Combine 'em all into one or two. Do you need an expert to sort out the mess?? You have my number!

Grandad

UPDATE....

I have been doing some testing and " Simple Share Buttons Adder" is frankly one to avoid like the plague - it slows a site down dramatically. On my test site I was getting a GTMetrix score of 65% and found a huge string of requests, all originating from SSBA. I disabled it and the score jumped to 90%. I wasn't the only one to discover this!

I tried Share buttons by AddThis and though not quite as fancy as the other, it only dropped the score to 87% which is a hell of an improvement on the other?

HTML

HTML