Russian Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandad

I was just wondering if anyone had noticed a large increase in traffic in the last day or two?

My site almost doubled its traffic, most of which seems to come from Reddit and Lifehacker, and Russia seems to be the source. A friend also has noticed this on his site.

Even more strange - I have three traffic monitors: two of them are showing perfectly normal traffic but Google is showing the huge increase.

Weird?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I was just wondering if anyone had noticed a large increase in traffic in the last day or two?

My site almost doubled its traffic, most of which seems to come from Reddit and Lifehacker, and Russia seems to be the source. A friend also has noticed this on his site.

Even more strange - I have three traffic monitors: two of them are showing perfectly normal traffic but Google is showing the huge increase.

Weird?
Any specific posts or pages or your entire site in general?

Grandad

Just the site root. Just checked friend's site [I have access to his Analytics] and his is the same.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just the site root. Just checked friend's site [I have access to his Analytics] and his is the same.
I'll have to have a look at my own stats when I get a chance, but I haven't seen any big spikes on my personal blog. Admittedly, however, I've been using GA less and less over the last year or so and setting up more of my sites with Free Web Analytics Software

Grandad

Apparently it is a known issue. I came across this yesterday Language Spam – The Latest Google Analytics Spam

The only thing it seems to affect is Google Analytics. The site [including WordFence] and other analytics show no affect at all. Not sure I understand it, but it nicely [and artificially] inflates my figures on GA. Roughly 100% increase over the last few days!

Grandad

That's the one. Traffic died off dramatically on Friday evening and was quiet for the weekend. It seems to be back again today [double traffic again] but maybe that's just down to my brilliant writing?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
That's the one. Traffic died off dramatically on Friday evening and was quiet for the weekend. It seems to be back again today [double traffic again] but maybe that's just down to my brilliant writing?
If you're only seeing it in Google Analytics then I suspect it's still this thing .. Though of course your writing is wonderful :)

Grandad

Yup. Only in GA. Damn! And I thought it was my magnetic personality.
Apart from skewing figures, the whole exercise seems a little pointless?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Yup. Only in GA. Damn! And I thought it was my magnetic personality.
Apart from skewing figures, the whole exercise seems a little pointless?
It's truly bizarre.
I can't see why anyone would think that it would generate traffic for their sites

Grandad

Seeing as the only people who will see their strange "message" are those viewing their stats in detail?

Incidentally I think my peak earlier this week was down purely to my outstanding popularity after all, and not the Russkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTML

HTML