Instagram How Many Hashtags Is Optimal?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen some Instagram users adding very large numbers of hashtags to their posts, which seems a bit spammy. But based on my own completely unscientific experiments adding a few hashtags to a post definitely drives more engagement.

So how many hashtags should I use?

Emily Gallagher

Wordpress says that it will not give blogs that have more than 15 hashtags the same prominence as lesser hash tagged blogs. So, for the moment, that seems like a decent rule. I would think as long as they are relevant that it is ok. I have seen some instagrams with hashtags that have nothing to do with the subject of the photo. This is just one view, one that I am sure is wrong.

Phil Mc Grath

Staff member
According to Buffer accounts with fewer than 1000 followers, who use 11 hashtags with their photo’s get on average over 77 interactions per post. So I guess 11 looks like a good number to go for.

Although you do have to be careful about the hashtags you use, as @Emily Gallagher says, throwing in hashtags with no relevance is no use.

I wrote an article on this not too long ago, it might be of some use - How to effectively use hashtags on Instagram

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
According to Buffer accounts with fewer than 1000 followers, who use 11 hashtags with their photo’s get on average over 77 interactions per post. So I guess 11 looks like a good number to go for.

Although you do have to be careful about the hashtags you use, as @Emily Gallagher says, throwing in hashtags with no relevance is no use.

I wrote an article on this not too long ago, it might be of some use - How to effectively use hashtags on Instagram
Thanks
Oddly enough I was at an event this week where the CMO for a very large company happily proclaimed that "the hashtag is dead"!

HTML

HTML